Ask Us About Video Conferencing

When Can I Modify My Child Support Payments?

Burlington County child support lawyers help clients modify their support payments.The amount of child support an individual pays is dependent upon several factors, including income, the amount of children, and the custody agreement. If these factors change, a child support modification may be required. There are plenty of reasons why a paying spouse may need a child support payment modification. Some of these reasons include changes in job status, health status, or a child’s age. When a change in circumstances affects a parent’s finances, parents are encouraged to contact a child support lawyer to seek modifications.

Job Status

A paying spouse who lost their job may pay less in child support after a modification. The reason for this is simple; the spouse is not receiving an income to afford monthly payments. Similarly, if the spouse receives a promotion, they may pay more in child support. If the custodial parent loses their job, the paying spouse may need to pay more in child support to help with expenses. It should be noted that child support modifications tend to only occur when a reduction or an increase of income is substantial.

Health Status

If the non-custodial parent experiences major health issues, a modification will likely permit them to pay less in child support. Since the parent has more expenses, they may have difficulty making child support payments. Similarly, if a child has health issues, the paying spouse will likely need to pay more after a child support modification. The increase in payments will go toward medical expenses for the child.

Age of Children

The amount of support a child needs changes as they age. Therefore, child support payments may be modified as children get older. For example, a non-custodial parent may pay less after a child is enrolled in school. This is because the custodial parent no longer needs to pay for daycare, babysitting, or other childcare expenses. Child support modifications may also require the non-custodial parent to pay more as the child ages. This is dependent on the choices each parent makes for their child’s education, extracurriculars, and other factors.

Other Times When Child Support May be Modified

It should be noted that child support modifications may occur without the presence of a changed circumstance. This is because New Jersey requires a child support modification every two years to adjust for an increased cost of living. Similarly, either party can request a child support review every three years.

Burlington County Child Support Lawyers at the Burnham Law Group, LLC Help Clients Modify Their Child Support Payments

A change in circumstances may force you to seek child support payment modification. Contact a Burlington County child support lawyer at the Burnham Law Group, LLC to help you through the legal process. If you are interested in speaking to one of our lawyers, contact us online or call us at 856-751-5505 for a free consultation. With offices located in Marlton and Somers Point, New Jersey, we proudly serve clients throughout South Jersey, including Camden County, Burlington County, and Atlantic County.


Start With Caring Legal Support

We will listen to your case, provide our honest assessment, and give you an idea of what you can reasonably expect.
Please fill out the form below or give us a call at (856) 751-5505.

A Message to Our Customers About Coronavirus COVID-19:

A Message to Our Clients About Coronavirus COVID-19:

In compliance with Governor Murphy's order for businesses in New Jersey, our offices are now closed to the public. Our attorneys and staff continue to work remotely to serve all of your legal needs.

We will conduct video phone conferences and can work with our clients through various modes of technology including online file sharing and virtual meetings. Documents can be exchanged through secure drives and email.

If you have questions regarding your case, please contact the legal team at Burnham Douglass amid the Coronavirus outbreak, please call us at 856-229-0071 or contact us online.

Stay safe, stay healthy.