Ask Us About Video Conferencing

How Do I Respond If My Child Wants to Live With My Ex-Spouse?

Burlington County child custody lawyers resolve complex child custody disputes.Many divorced parents say the most challenging part of ending a marriage is sharing parenting time. Not being able to see your children every day can be incredibly painful. Without having to defer to each other for daily decisions, divorced parents may create households with different rhythms and rules.

One day, your child may tell you they want to live with your ex-spouse. While you are likely to feel sad, angry, or rejected, it is important to control your emotions and balance your response if you want to preserve the relationship with your child. The following are tips for moving forward after your child asks to live with the other parent.

Remember It is Not Personal

If your child asks to live with your ex-spouse, it is natural to believe your child likes them better. Yet, there are countless reasons why they may want to move out. To prevent needless anguish, remember to remind yourself their decision is more about what they are going through than your ability to parent.

Hear Your Child

Unfortunately, some children are trying to get a reaction from you by asking to move out. Their message may not be pleasant, but it needs to be heard. Every member of the family processes divorce in their own way. Parental support needs to be consistent in this time of change. Validate your child’s feelings and continue to give them the safe space they need to talk and express themselves.

Be Open-Minded

While it may not be your vision of how life after divorce would be, try to remain open to new ways of navigating this new chapter. With good communication and a fair parenting plan, maybe your child’s request is not so unreasonable after all. Change is inevitable and the connection with your ex-spouse may be what they need right now.

Discuss with Your Ex-Spouse

If your relationship with your ex-spouse is amicable, bring them into the discussion. They may be able to offer more insight into why your child wants to live with them and if it is practical. Approaching the situation as a team will make determining where your children will live a more peaceful and productive one.

Avoid the Guilt Trap

When a child wants to live with the other parent, it may be tough to not make them feel bad or guilty, but this will only strain your relationship further. Divorce is painful for children and adding guilt or shame to the emotions they are already experiencing will make the healing process more difficult. Do not punish them for processing this enormous transition in the only way they know how.

Burlington County Child Custody Lawyers at the Burnham Law Group, LLC Resolve Complex Child Custody Disputes

If your child tells you they want to live with your ex-spouse, it is important to stay calm, hear them out, and discuss their request with a Burlington County child custody lawyer at the Burnham Law Group, LLC. We are familiar with custody guidelines in New Jersey and can guide you toward making the best decisions for you and your children. To discuss your divorce matter today, call us at 856-751-5505 or contact us online for a free consultation. Located in Marlton and Somers Point, New Jersey, we serve clients throughout South Jersey, including Camden County, Burlington County, and Atlantic County.


Start With Caring Legal Support

We will listen to your case, provide our honest assessment, and give you an idea of what you can reasonably expect.
Please fill out the form below or give us a call at (856) 751-5505.

A Message to Our Customers About Coronavirus COVID-19:

A Message to Our Clients About Coronavirus COVID-19:

In compliance with Governor Murphy's order for businesses in New Jersey, our offices are now closed to the public. Our attorneys and staff continue to work remotely to serve all of your legal needs.

We will conduct video phone conferences and can work with our clients through various modes of technology including online file sharing and virtual meetings. Documents can be exchanged through secure drives and email.

If you have questions regarding your case, please contact the legal team at Burnham Douglass amid the Coronavirus outbreak, please call us at 856-229-0071 or contact us online.

Stay safe, stay healthy.