Ask Us About Video Conferencing

Alimony Modifications in New Jersey

Marlton alimony lawyers assist clients with alimony modifications in NJ.Not every divorce will result in a support order; however, spousal support, commonly referred to as alimony, may be awarded to a divorcing spouse who has limited ability to support themselves. The concept of alimony, in general, is often debated, and brings up a range of emotional issues.

For example, the payor may feel resentful and unable to move forward financially. At the same time, the payee receiving the alimony could feel that it is not enough to continue the lifestyle they were once accustomed to; or if they feel they should be compensated for personal sacrifices made during the marriage that ended.

Modification of alimony can include:

  • An increase in support payments
  • A decrease in support payments
  • Termination of alimony
  • Temporary payment suspension

However, changing a support order is not easy, and the party requesting the modification will need to be prepared to prove to the court that their circumstances, or those of their ex, have significantly changed.

Those that feel stuck in an unfair situation should consult with an experienced Marlton alimony lawyer to learn if their circumstances warrant a modification to their original support order.

Alimony and Change of Income

If either party has a change of income after divorce, or encounters circumstances that changes their ability to earn, an ex-spouse can request a modification to the spousal support agreement.

For example, if a spouse who is receiving alimony suddenly receives an increase in pay, the spouse paying support can ask for a decrease or termination of alimony. On the other hand, if the payor has an increase in income, under certain circumstances the payee may be entitled to more alimony.

Change of income can result from the following circumstances:

  • Pay raise or demotion
  • Cost of living increase
  • Unemployment
  • Inheritance
  • Sickness or injury
  • Retirement

Can I Terminate My Alimony Payments If My Spouse is Cohabitating?

Although alimony is usually terminated if the receiving spouse remarries, what many may not be aware of is that the New Jersey Alimony Reform Act of 2014 states that alimony can be suspended or terminated if the payee cohabitates with another person.

Defining what constitutes cohabitation is difficult, and the court may be inclined to terminate alimony even if the couple is not living together on a full-time basis. However, for cohabitation to be a factor in the termination of alimony, a couple’s relationship must be marriagelike, and include the intimacy and responsibilities that married life brings.

To determine if alimony should be terminated due to cohabitation, the court will examine the following factors:

  • Combined finances and joint bank accounts
  • Shared living expenses
  • Recognition of the relationship in the couple’s social and family circles
  • The length of the relationship

Marlton Alimony Lawyers at the Burnham Law Group, LLC Assist Clients with Alimony Modifications

If your circumstances have changed, or you would like more information about modifications to your spousal support order, contact a Marlton alimony lawyer at the Burnham Law Group, LLC. Our lawyers have the experience needed to assist clients with divorce, alimony issues, and all other family law matters. Call us today at 856-751-5505 or contact us online. With locations in Marlton and Somers Point, New Jersey, we serve clients throughout the state.


Start With Caring Legal Support

We will listen to your case, provide our honest assessment, and give you an idea of what you can reasonably expect.
Please fill out the form below or give us a call at (856) 751-5505.

A Message to Our Customers About Coronavirus COVID-19:

A Message to Our Clients About Coronavirus COVID-19:

In compliance with Governor Murphy's order for businesses in New Jersey, our offices are now closed to the public. Our attorneys and staff continue to work remotely to serve all of your legal needs.

We will conduct video phone conferences and can work with our clients through various modes of technology including online file sharing and virtual meetings. Documents can be exchanged through secure drives and email.

If you have questions regarding your case, please contact the legal team at Burnham Douglass amid the Coronavirus outbreak, please call us at 856-229-0071 or contact us online.

Stay safe, stay healthy.